Today’s life is so busy, so stressful and so taxing on the mind that people often don’t even have the time to focus on trying to live a healthier lifestyle. This is a big mistake. If you don’t take action to improve your health, you will end up a mental and physical wreck. Respect your body. Respect your health. Take responsibility for your own well-being. You’ll not only feel better, you will also have bags more energy, you’ll be able to concentrate for longer, your skin will glow and your body will generally look and feel much better – on the inside as well as the outside. Here are my top 10 tips that will allow you to achieve a healthier lifestyle:
1) Get enough sleep. All those late nights and weekly parties do nothing to improve your general appearance. Lack of sleep causes tiredness, lack of concentration, lack of energy and even premature aging. If you don’t sleep enough, you’ll also compensate by eating more junk, which means you’ll also pile on the pounds!
2) Drink more water. Most of us drink a lot less water than we should be drinking. We need to drink 8 glasses of water a day to stay adequately hydrated and to provide sufficient fluid for our body to remove harmful toxins that build up daily in our bodies.
3) Eat more fruit and fiber. This is essential if you want to have a healthier inside. Be more conscious of what you eat and try to make healthier choices when you eat out. Fruits contain natural toxin removing vitamins and fiber-rich foods are proven to keep your insides clean.
4) Be more active. You don’t necessarily have to join a gym to live a more active lifestyle. All it takes is small steps. Walk instead of driving short distances. Take the stairs, not the lift. Try to walk briskly at least 20 minutes a day. Your aim should be to increase your heart rate so that by the end of your walk, you feel just slightly short of breath.
5) Relax more. People are always rushing around, always busy and on the go all the time. If you’re like this then if you’re not careful you’ll burn yourself out. Try to find time to relax and recharge your batteries. Treat yourself to a massage or spa treatment. Relaxing is a great way to ensure that your body gets the rest it needs.
6) Cut out the junk food. This is really difficult, but essential. Junk food may taste good, but it’s doing irreparable damage to your body. Too much junk food is the leading cause of obesity and its many related conditions. Take action now before it’s too late. You alone have the power to improve your health and you owe it to yourself to take responsibility for your actions.
7) Meditate. This is one of the best ways to start improving your lifestyle. Meditation allows you to clear your mind, focus on your inner self and let go of all the negativity that surrounds you on a daily basis. All you need to do it sit comfortably, close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing.
Cut your alcohol intake. In moderation, alcohol is ok, however too much of it can damage your health and ruin your liver and brain. It also makes your dehydrated, affects your concentration and could cause you to lose control. Alcohol is also a diuretic which causes you to pee more and therefore causes dehydration.
9) Stop smoking. You will drastically improve your health if you quit smoking. It’s easier said than done, however the ill effects of smoking are well-known. Cancer, heart attacks, lung disease, respiratory illnesses and other highly damaging effects of smoking should be the only warning you need. And smoking a lighter brand of cigarette doesn’t count.
10) Motivate each other. Making such important changes to your lifestyle can be quite challenging, so why not do it as a family or with a group of friends? Not only will you be able to keep each other on track, you’ll also have a group of people to hold you accountable for your actions. You’ll have a bigger sense of responsibility towards improving your health and your lifestyle.